1 Nov 2015

Lola's Cupcakes Review

The first time I experienced Lola's cupcakes was when I tied the knot. I ordered some red velvet cupcakes from Lola's. I didn't do a cake tasting. I just wanted reasonably priced red velvet cupcakes and Lola's cupcakes looked the part. It was such a hectic day for me - as you can probably imagine, and the taste of my wedding cakes didn't feature much in my mind.

Now that I run city food blog, I aim to provide fellow food blog readers with honest, in depth food reviews and advice on what to eat. That means paying more attention to what I'm shoveling into my mouth! So here is my honest Lola's cupcakes review.
Lola's Cupcakes - City Food Blog
Lola's Cupcakes - Black Bottom, Passion Fruit and Salted Caramel

I bought a box of four cupcakes from Lola's in the selfridges food hall. Lola's cupcake display is very eye catching. So many different cupcakes to choose from. I received good service from a helpful lady.

I decided on a salted caramel cupcake, black bottom cupcake and a passion fruit cupcake.
Lola's Cupcakes Salted Caramel Cupcake - City Food Blog
Lola's Salted Caramel Cupcake

Lola's salted caramel cupcake has thick slightly powdery buttercream with the slightest taste of salt. The two flakes of chocolate are just average in taste. The Caramel centre is a bit salty. I hate when salt crystals are used. The chocolate sponge is a bit too dry. Overall I feel that this cake is a bit heavy and far too sweet.
Lola's Cupcakes Black Bottom Cupcake - City Food Blog
Lola's Cupcakes Black Bottom Cupcake
Lola's black bottom cupcake is sugary sweet with no distinguishing flavours. The sponge is a little too dry and heavy. There's far too much buttercream - now that's something you wouldn't expect to hear me say, as I usually love lashings of buttercream. It would have been a good thing had the buttercream tasted more buttery and a lot less sugary.
Lola's Cupcakes Passionfruit Cupcake - City Food Blog
Lola's Cupcakes Passionfruit Cupcake
Lola's passion fruit cupcake looks lovely with real passion fruit visible in the center. It's flavoursome. I could really taste passion fruit in the icing. The sponge itself is plain, a bit too dry and heavy. The icing is too sweet and too thick of a consistency for my liking.

Sad to say I probably wouldn't buy from Lola's Cupcakes again.

Found this Lola's Cupcakes review useful?
Subscribe to this food blog for more tips on what to eat in London.

Lola's Cupcakes Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Search This Blog